Updated: Jan 11, 2022
Though dining is not the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about Alta Ski Area, the resort has upped its game in recent years. Here are five spots where we've loved eating and drinking at Alta. If you have a couple of days, we recommend trying all of them.
1) Cecret Coffee for a quick pick me up. Tucked into the ground level of the remodeled Alf’s Restaurant, this window is convenient for grabbing hot chocolate or coffee and warming up. Kids and adults can indulge with a waffle with toppings such as peanut butter, chocolate chips and whipped cream. Then, head right back up the Sugarloaf or Supreme Lifts.
2) Alf’s Restaurant, an Alta institution, was fully renovated for the 2020-21 season. With nearly twice as much space to dine, huge windows and a large patio seating area, you don't want to miss Alf's. This is one of the most memorable cafeteria style ski lunch stops we've experienced. The grill has burgers along with special sandwiches like tuna melts and reubens. The soups will warm you up on a cold day and the salads are large. Major perk — Alf's has free refills on beverages, including hot ones. There is also a gift shop with great Alta swag and plenty of layers to keep you warm.
> View our Top Trails here. Good news, Alf's is easy to access from almost anywhere on the mountain.
3) Relaxed lunch at Alta Lodge. For a relaxing lunch at the base, score a reservation at the Alta Lodge. This bright dining space has mountain views and a reasonably priced selection of daily soups, sandwiches and salads. Each day also has a heartier special including meatloaf, cavatapi, and house-smoked pulled pork. Dessert is on offer too — you earned it.
4) Fine dining with daily specials at Collins Grill. If you have more time, take off your ski boots and luxuriate with local delicacies. The seasonal menu is presented on a chalkboard and changes weekly. You can combine a few heavier appetizers and small plates to make a great meal. We love the lemon chicken soup, scallops with pine nuts, and roasted duck breast.
5) Mid-Mountain Break at Baldy Brews. For a mid-mountain break after a morning shredding powder on Collins, come here to hydrate and/or caffeinate. Located on the bottom level of the Watson Shelter, adjacent to the Collins Mid-station, you’ll find friendly faces, delicious espresso, and lots of sweet treats. Hot chocolate connoisseurs won’t want to miss the Italian Hot Chocolate.