Alta has our vote as a top, family-friendly resort. It’s rare to find a world-class ski school; affordable and flexible childcare just steps from the lifts; and a range of terrain guaranteed to delight everyone in your family. Part of the Alta magic is its no-frills, purist vibe, so don’t expect lots of bells and whistles outside of skiing for the kids. If your family craves a busy town or scheduled, non-skiing activities like skating, s’mores, or tubing, this mountain may not be for you. Below are the top six highlights of lessons and family offerings at Alta:
1) The Alf Engen Ski School is one of the best in the world for instruction and value. The Alf Engen Ski School offers a range of lesson options to suit your family’s needs. One of our favorite offerings is the All-Day Mini Adventure ($160), which includes 2 hours of skiing, lunch and a half-day of daycare for your child. This introduction to skiing, for children ages 4-12, is perfect for little ones not yet ready for a full day on the slopes. Private lessons are are available for children ages 3+ with a variety of choices, ranging from parent/child lessons, where parents learn how to work with their entry level skiers under 6 years of age, to a full day (6 hours) of skiing for your child.
2) The daycare set up is super convenient. The bright, welcoming children’s center is located just steps from the Albion and Sunnyside lifts, enabling parents to come in and out as needed. Ms. Ilse, the director of Alta Children's Center, as well as the center at neighboring child's center at Snowbird, goes out of her way to make families feel welcome and is flexible with individual kids’ needs.
Babysitting Services are also available through Guardian Angel Babysitting. They offer in-room babysitting for the Salt Lake and Park City areas. Reservations are required, book online here. Rates start at $22/hr + $15 transportation with a minimum of 3 hours.
3) Child care skiing rates are reasonable. With rates around $140/full day and several options to save even more for repeat visitors or pass holders, it’s hard to find better value. IKON/Mountain Collective holders pay a discounted $120 for a full day, and if you’re planning multiple trips to Alta and/or Snowbird, you can save even more by purchasing the Little Cottonwood Canyon Childcare card, valid at both resorts’ centers, in packs of 10 ($700), 15 ($975), or 20 ($1200).
4) Exceptional value for beginners. The adult beginner special includes a 2 hour lesson with access to tows and beginner lifts only for $80. Lessons meet at Albion Base at 1:30pm daily; Weekends also have 10:15am meeting.
5) Kids programming at the Alta Lodge. Families should consider the Alta Lodge with its special, complimentary, kids club. Slope side access and the kids will be well entertained. The club offers after skiing activities such as crafts, games and a special kids dinner. It also includes a free shuttle to the Children's Ski School in the morning and afternoon.
6) Special group programs for women and experts.
Women's Ski Camps: 3 or 4-Day ski programs for Intermediate, Advanced and Expert women offered on select weeks; includes dinners, breakfasts, après ski, two yoga sessions
Adult Advanced & Expert Off-Trail Workshop: 2.5 hour off-trail workshop; experience Alta's legendary off-trail skiing - deep powder, bumps, trees with a seasoned off-trail coach; $95, max 5 per group, first come first serve; meet 1:30pm daily at Watson Shelter Meeting Place
Insider Tip. Group lessons are first come, first serve. So, come early. Children's lessons tend to book up on powder days when their parents want to hit the steep & deeps.
Beware. There is not much for smaller children to do outside of Alta's Childcare Center and Ski School. The cozy lodges, however, do offer great nooks and crannies for board games and puzzles, which are generally available upon request.
To stay up-to-date on all that Alta has to offer for the season, check out their events page.
Click here for our full Alta Guide with resort ratings, insider tips, top trails, itineraries, dining and après ski recommendations.